QRPp Pota Activation? K-1001 on 900 mW

 A lot of people find it hard to believe that QRP works. Of course, many assume SSB, and I'll concede that QRP SSB is a challenge. But CW (Morse code) QRP is a fairly trivial thing. I operate almost exclusively QRP, with the exceptions being my boat anchor rigs and special events where I'm sought after, as was the case in December '22 when I was one of the reindeer (Vixen) in the Christmas-themed SKCC Weekend Sprint. 

Okay, but how about QRPp? First, let's define things. QRP CW operations are generally agreed to be at power levels of 5 watts or less. QRPp raises (lowers) the bar to one watt or less. Does QRPp work? Sure, lots of people do it. The NAQCC even has twice-yearly mW challenges. Imagine trying to work someone when you are QRPp, but the other guy is operating at 100 watts or more. A challenge? Yes, but not nearly the same as an event where everybody is running one watt or less. It's definitely a greater challenge!

Having seen at least one popular POTA CW guy do a mW activation made me want in on the action. I told myself my next activation would be less than a watt. But January in the Chicago area is not terribly conducive to park activations, with the exception being a drive-by using mobile antennas. I did not want to constrain myself even further with a compromise antenna, so the plan was to wait for a mild day and deploy my end-fed half-wave.

Well, wouldn't you know it - mother nature gave me an opportunity, and I took it! The temps were above 50 degrees Fahrenheit, there was no rain, and the winds were calm. I grabbed that opportunity and headed off to park K-1001, the closest one to home. It was my 19th activation of this park, moving me a step closer to the coveted "Repeat Offender" award. 

I set up my 31' Jackite pole with my home-brew 40-meter end-fed half wave. I fed the antenna at the base of the mast, looped it through a ring at the tip, and extended the extra 30+ feet as horizontal from the tip as possible, tying it off to a nearby tree. I guess it was an inverted L sloper. I got a great match on 20-meters, so it was a green light to get underway.

Using my KX2 with the power turned down to 900mW, I started calling CQ POTA. I monitored the RBN and was delighted to be spotted pretty quickly. I was greeted a minute later with a 559 from Rob, WJ5K In Tupelo, MS. The next twelve minutes provided several 559's, with contacts in coming from both coasts. I succeeded in activating the park in the first thirteen minutes.

I QSY'd to 40-meters to let the closer-in stations get in the action. Just like 20-meters, the signals were great, with no report worse than a 559. Time was running out, so I took a shot at 15 meters. The band was not quite as open, and I only lit up a couple of beacons with sub-par numbers. I took a quick shot at 10-meters with the same result. I almost decided to stop there, but on a whim decided to give 17 meters a shot. I'm glad I did! Signals there were very good. I literally worked corner-to-corner, with Florida and Washington State. Then, as icing on the cake, along came a 599 from Andre, KL7AC in North Pole, AK!

Darkness was approaching fast so I wrapped it up after a couple more contacts. All in all, it was a great activation with 21 contacts in just shy of 45 minutes. Considering multiple band changes and 900 mW, I'd consider that a stellar outing!


I'll update this report with a link to the YouTube video when available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Activation Report: K-1001 James "Pate" Philip State Park, Bartlett IL